Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Terrible Loss

As some of you may know my baby brother Ben is currently serving our Country in Iraq. I found out today that he lost a close friend to a roadside bomb. "Brad A. Davis, 21, of Garfield Heights, Ohio; corporal, Army. Davis was killed Wednesday when a roadside bomb exploded near his vehicle near Baghdad. He was assigned to the 82nd Brigade Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg, N.C"(LA Times).

This has been extremely hard for Ben. In a letter to my parents he wrote, "...I was supposed to be hit by that efp (explosively-formed penetrator)but his patrol was fifteen minutes ahead of us on our return to our C.O.P. (combat outpost)
so I had to pull up and render security and search for the person's responsible for this.

...I was close to Davis...---. and his funeral is on Tuesday...so keep this down so I can handle what I'm going through here alright. Sorry I blew up...I'm just all twisted up inside right now about the whole thing!!!"

It is very tough to think of my little brother amidst all of this terrible violence. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Brad A. Davis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awful! When I first started reading I thought you were talking about Ben and almost had a heart attack! I hope he is doing ok and I will be praying for him!

Ryan and Candice Nelson said...

Ben is so courageous for being there. I admire him so much, and what they do over there, even risking their lives. I'm sorry to hear about that.